Basic Handgun Familiarization Course October 15
What will you learn?
- the how, why and what about your new handgun including maintenance.
- proper gear and safety equipment that each shooter should have ie. eye and ear protection.
- Cooper’s 4 Rules
- equipment and gear discussion
- how to consciously apply safety rules to handgun handling ie sweeping…
- proper technique for drawing and re-holstering a handgun.
- proper technique for loading and safely unloading a handgun.
- understanding proper sight picture, grip and trigger actuation.
- malfunction clearance including Type 1-3.
- how to safely uncase and re-case a firearm.
- actual live fire practice.
- rules pertaining to handgun use at CFGPA as well as Club activities where you may enjoy your handguns.
- provide options of other club affiliated instructors if you wish to pursue more advanced training.
Where is it held?
- at the main Clubhouse and one of the Pistol Ranges.
What do I need to bring?
- your personal handgun in its gun case.
- dummy rounds (You can purchase these for your specific caliber at any firearms store). Dummy rounds are perfect for practice and should be part of any gun owner’s kit.
- if interested and available, bring your holster, a proper gun belt and magazine holder. (This is not mandatory and only for those interested in using a holster at the range)
- 200 rounds of ammunition for your own handgun.
- proper attire.
- note paper and pen.
- eye and ear protection discussion, especially if you want to shoot after the course!
- a good attitude and desire to learn.
- DO NOT BRING LIVE AMMUNITION into the hall! Please leave any live ammunition in your vehicle until we ask you to bring it for the live fire portion of the course. This will be strictly enforced!
- a light lunch or snack.
What is the cost and time?
- the sessions (including range time) will be around 4 hours depending on participation and interest.
- the sessions will start after Club Orientation. 10:15am – 2:30pm
- $75 for each Club participant. Please pay on our online portal. Cash or cheque payable to CFGPA may be accepted on the day of the course. Guests of members will be charged $85 to cover the insurance.
When is the course held?
- there will be one course a month scheduled immediately after Club Orientation except for January and December. Please check the Club website under Safety Programs for the next available course. No handgun, ammunition or equipment will be provided by the Club unless prior arrangements are made. You must use your own firearm and gear.
How many people will be at the course?
- a maximum of 8 people per course to allow time for individual attention and questions.
Is this an officially recognized course?
- the skills you will learn will be applicable to all disciplines of handgun sports throughout Canada. However, this is a Club sanctioned event and will not be recognized as an official qualification in National events. This is designed as a basic handgun course for you to be familiar/ confident with the handgun sports and to enhance your safety and enjoyment of the hobby.