Reminder Basic Handgun Familiarization Course September 26th
In response to numerous requests, the Board of Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association now offers a Basic Handgun Familiarization Course. This is not a mandatory course and is geared to firearms owners who want to learn basic handgun handling skills as well as proper handgun and range etiquette. It is also a perfect refresher for handgun shooters who are returning to the sport after a long break.
Confirmed 2021 Dates (click date to register):
What will you learn?
- the how, why and what about your new handgun including maintenance.
- proper gear and safety equipment that each shooter should have ie. eye and ear protection.
- Cooper’s 4 Rules of Firearms Safety
- equipment and gear discussion
- how to consciously apply safety rules to handgun handling ie sweeping…
- proper technique for drawing and re-holstering a handgun.
- proper technique for loading and safely unloading a handgun.
- understanding proper sight picture, grip and trigger actuation.
- malfunction clearance including Type 1-3.
- how to safely uncase and re-case a firearm.
- ammunition compatibility. ( .38 in .357 etc.)
- rules pertaining to handgun use at CFGPA as well as Club activities where you may enjoy your handguns.
- provide options of other club affiliated instructors if you wish to pursue more advanced training.
Where is it held?
- at the main Clubhouse.
What do I need to bring?
- your personal handgun in its gun case.
- dummy rounds ( You can purchase these for your specific calibre at any firearms store). Dummy rounds are perfect for practice and should be part of any gun owner’s kit.
- if interested and available, bring your holster, a proper gun belt and magazine holder. ( This is not mandatory and only for those interested in using a holster at the range)
- proper attire.
- notepaper and pen.
- eye and ear protection discussion, especially if you want to shoot after the course!
- a good attitude and desire to learn.
- DO NOT BRING LIVE AMMUNITION into the hall! Please leave any live ammunition in your vehicle. This will be strictly enforced!
What are the costs and time?
- the sessions will be around 4 hours depending on participation and interest.
- $25 prepaid for each participant.
- Coffee and water will be provided.
When is the course held?
- we are planning to hold these courses during Orientation Days but additional ones can be scheduled based on demand. Please check the Club events calendar online for dates and times. If you are a new member coming on Orientation day, please remember to bring your handgun and related gear as listed above. No handgun or equipment will be provided by the Club. You must use your own firearm and gear.
How many people will be on the course?
- a maximum of 10 people per course to allow time for individual attention and questions.
Is this an official recognized course?
- the skills you will learn will be applicable to all disciplines of handgun sports throughout Canada. However, this is a Club sanctioned event and will not be recognized as an official qualification in National events. This is designed as a basic handgun course for you to be familiar/ confident with the handgun sports and to enhance your safety and enjoyment of the hobby.
How do I sign up?
Click the link to the date you would like to register for: